Book 1 Post 1
Autobiographies are like getting a glimpse into some ones world. Seeing a different perspective and way of looking at things provides me with a more well rounded frame of perspective. I always walk away from hearing others stories with a fresh way at looking at others and also more empathy. Seeing others struggles allows me to understand that that each person has their own battles and makes me more receptive of that. This is why I chose the book by America Ferrara. So many different stories that I will be exposed to that will give me new insight into cultures, peoples lives, and their values. Hearing from 30+ people will unlock new ways of thinking that I can use when working with other people and be able to relate to others that much better. Recently I have become increasingly interested in culture and my culture as well. I have been watching movies about my Italian culture and listening to stories about it as well. I believe that this phase that I am in where I am searching to better understand cultures will work perfectly with this book exploring different cultures. My current passion mixed with the purpose of the book will improve my perspective and understanding of others.
I am excited to get a deep understanding of others cultures out of this book. You can learn about other cultures through books but it does not compare to learning though what they celebrate, value, and how they act. You can learn so much more about a person through that way then just by studying the history of it. I believe this book will give that insight that I want, not only into my cultures but into others that I have not explored as well. Often it is best to be exposed to cultures that you are not familiar with where you get the most out of it. Being forced into understanding others cultures picked by America rather than me will give me a greater breadth and less selection bias. I am happy about this expansion of my horizon and deeper understanding of others.
Comments
Post a Comment